"" Three Ladies and a Dad: Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Making lettuce last longer.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Making lettuce last longer.


Last week, I told you how I throw spinach in everything. (Literally, about 90% of our meals.) We use it so much, in fact, I buy it in bulk at Sam's. One way to make that much spinach last a few days longer is to store a paper towel in the container with it.

Once again, this tip originated from my mom. But then Rachel Ray did it so I knew it was not just a family trick.

As soon as you bring your greens home, throw a paper towel in the bag or container. (We do not use paper towels at our house so I use a certain towel for it and it works perfectly too.) The moisture that would normally make your greens wilt and go bad is now collected on the towel. This will not make them last forever, but it will extend the life of them quite a few days. You may need to replace the towel with a new one after a couple of days.

This tip is also useful if you have to pre-make a salad. You can get the salad ready the night before, put in the the container with a paper towel and it will be fine the next day to serve. Just top it with the dressing.

For more tips to help out in the kitchen, hop on over to Tammy's blog!

(Image via.)

3 comments:

Hattie said...

What a great tip!!! I hate wasting money on paper towels, but I can't get my boys & hubby to do without!

annies home said...

thanks for this great tip

SnoWhite said...

great idea! thanks.

ShareThis