"" Three Ladies and a Dad: Write it down!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Write it down!

I am not sure about you, but I am much more likely to do something if it is planned and wrote on a list. I do this at work, while I am grocery shopping, ect...I live by lists.

So, after a meltdown last week, something had to give. I don't want to be that nagging wife or mom, but I also want respect from my children and help from my husband. You follow?

I spent a few minutes organizing a schedule our family will follow. I made a nightly schedule that gave us time slots for each activity so we don't get off track. I also made a cleaning schedule. Yours obviously will be different, I'm sure, to better fit your needs and family. But I can tell you, my life has been so much better since this has started! More things get accomplished each night, the girls know what to expect, and I am a much happier person. And we all know when mom is happy, everyone is. Just like when mom has a meltdown, everyone in the house will know! (And if they don't, I will be sure to let them know!)

Here is our plan. I printed this out and wrote what room on what night. Ever since then, it has been hanging on my refrigerator. Keep in mind, each night we just do a quick pick up of the whole house. We can complete each room in about 30 minutes or less.

Monday is the kitchen and dining room:

  • Clean trash can
  • Wipe down counters and cabinets
  • Clean out fridge
  • Wipe down fridge shelves
  • Clean top of fridge
  • Clean inside of microwave
  • Wipe down table and chairs very well.
  • Find kitchen clutter a home ;)
Tuesday is the living room and bathrooms
  • Put away all clutter.
  • Clean all wooden and glass shelves along with all the mirrors.
  • Wipe down television.
  • Clean toilets, vanities and showers.
Wednesday is the girls' bedroom:
  • Wipe down dresser, headboards and nightstands.
  • Organize closets and drawers.
  • Put away clutter.
  • Sweep floor.
Thursday is the toy room.
  • General pickup.
  • Sweep.
Friday is our bedroom.
  • Same as girls' room.
Saturday is floor day.
  • Sweep
  • Mop
  • Vacuum
  • Wash sheets
Sunday is nothing!! My favorite day is Sunday. ;)

We also have a nightly to do list...these things must be done every night or this mama will go crazy!
  • Do dishes.
  • Sweep the kitchen.
  • At least one load of laundry.
  • Wipe down counters in kitchen.
  • Get clothes laid out for tomorrow and pack lunches.
  • Other things I cannot think of right now.
This plan may not work for your family, but it helps mine. The girls help me with some of these and if they do, they get a sticker in the "Chore of the Day" box on their chore chart. I cannot find a way to show you the chore chart, but if you would like, I can email it to you. Just leave your email address in the comments section or if you would rather use the contact form to let me know, that works too.

I hope you can get some use out of this!

3 comments:

freckleface said...

Your blog is so cute! Thanks for visiting mine.

I may have to copy this list...I have the same issues. It's maddening!

Whitney @ I'm Lovin This Life said...

That's a really really good idea.

Maybe be our new routine too!

Anonymous said...

I've always been a schedule freak and planner and I will warn you.
If something happens that I am unable to complete the daily tasks, I get all thrown off schedule and in a tizzy. When unexpected company dropped by, I found myself thinking, "gawd, will they ever leave? I have work to do". I should have been enjoying time with them but I was worried about the schedule.
These days I make a list like yours but with no set days. I'm interested to see how yours works out!

ShareThis