"" Three Ladies and a Dad: Going Green

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Going Green

I have added a couple of New Year's Resolutions. I don't expect to get them fully done and checked off anytime soon. I realize that I cannot organize my car, desk, home, basically life, in one day. So instead, I take it one day at a time. That's all I can humanly do.

My new resolution is to start being more 'earth friendly'. I have put a lot of thought into it and everything around us, we take in. Chemicals we clean with, we breathe in. Preservatives and chemicals for food, we eat. The list goes on and on. I have always tried to buy organic food when I see it. I don't think that because our children are just that, children, that they should eat chicken nuggets and french fries every night. They get their side salad with Jeremy and I when we go out to eat. I have not always felt this way about my girls. Jeremy and I have always tried to eat healthy. I have not always been a stickler about it with the girls. We were blessed with children who will try anything and 99% of the time, they will like it. So, my theory on this is if they like healthy choices, then why not give that to them over other food?

So back to the resolution, I have organized the toy room. We had these open stackable bins for all of the toys. I bought new ones so for the old ones, we will use for our recycle bins. I have been doing some research on how to start a home recycling program and never realized how in depth it is. The are quite a few different types of plastic. You can recycle paper, but not envelopes because of the sticky part. That is just a few of the tips. You can visit Earth 911 to find a center close to you, plus their contact information. Our location does not have a pick-up service, but it is just a few minutes from our home, so we can drop it off.

Our other going green move was to start buying "Family and Earth Friendly cleaning products". Thankfully, my mom and dad bought Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products for us for Christmas. They smell so good! It is not outrageously priced either - nothing more than we would have spent at Wal-Mart for all of it. I bought Method products at Target about a month ago and they work great also. These are all non-toxic and green friendly!

We also have started purchasing these light bulbs. They are a little more expensive than regular light bulbs so instead of re-doing our whole home in them, as a bulb goes out, we will replace it with an energy saving one. That way, we are not out a lot of money at one time.

I have been thinking about this for about 2 months now and researching all of it. Then, I turn on Oprah last week and Method and Mrs. Meyers Clean Day was on there, so I know it is okay if Oprah likes it! There were a lot of great tips on there and it helped us realized that if everyone did something, that it would make a difference.

On a lighter note, it is a somewhat dreary Tuesday. It is kind of scary how much it feels like spring. Here is a picture of the girls after they had baths last night. They love the new towels Ninny and Pop got them for Christmas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just going to tel you about the Oprah thing because I recycle! It is easy and Kacie loves it!! Jodi got us started and we love it! So glad to hear you are doing that! This is April by the way but I lost my passwrod!

ShareThis