"" Three Ladies and a Dad: I always knew storage was an issue...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I always knew storage was an issue...

Tonight, after doing a bit of shopping, I started to cook dinner to stick in the freezer for next week. I started a pot of water to boil and ran upstairs to grab some spaghetti noodles.

Our stairs are used as part storage closet...our upstairs in this rental house is unfinished. This means that the stairs are full of items I have stockpiled that I use in the kitchen...Ziploc bags, salad dressings...just little random things.

Read: A 'quick trip' down the stairs means stepping over all kinds of things.

Anyways, I get down the stairs to find my kitchen full of smoke.

Ooops.

I turned on the wrong burner and a plastic tub was melting all over my stove. The tub had been there holding snacks because of lack of storage in my cabinets.

AND IT STUNK.

I turned the burner off, grab the plastic, which at this point was started to actually get small sparks in it, thew it in a cardboard box and opened up the windows.

Just so you understand, I sent the girls outside...in 44 degree weather because the fumes were so bad we were coughing.

*cough cough*

As I was cleaning up, I realized how lucky we are. It could have been so much worse. Thank God it is not though.

Moral of the story...slow down and make sure the right burner is on!

And make sure you don't store stuff on your stove!

{It's okay though...you can laugh!}

4 comments:

Whitney said...

LOL Sorry, but I had to laugh.

I've accidently done that before, but not to that extreme.

Thanks God you got there in time though!

Alicia said...

I did the same exact thing with a pot holder thing....put the pan on the burner, pulled out the pot holder to take something from the oven, put it on top of the left burner, turned on the "right" burner, then went to take the dog outside. I came in to the house to find the pot holder on fire. Scary I tell ya!

Mom to 3 QT's said...

Lol...did the same thing. Mine was mail on the stove though. I came in to find the mail flaming and as I ran in to take care of it, it flew off the stove(still on fire) and landed in the floor a couple feet in front of the stove. By that point I was trying to get water to put it out, but it was between me and the cups. That was a site(me trying to get it put out) Lol...there is still a spot on the kitchen floor where the mail landed. Hey...don't feel bad (I've managed to do this more than once)

SnoWhite said...

I've totally melted plastic before -- not fun!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the fococcia bread :)

ShareThis