"" Three Ladies and a Dad: Final Act of Love

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Final Act of Love

April is National Donate Life Month. Obviously, this is something that many, if not all of my friends and family feel strongly about.
It only takes a few moments to register but before we get to the how to's, I wanted to share with you a few facts.:
1. Every day in the United States, an average of 18 people die while awaiting organ transplants because of a critical shortage of donors.
2. In 2008, 27,958 organ transplant procedures were performed.
3. Most religions view organ donation as a final act of love.
4. Each person who decides to become an organ and tissue donor has the potential of saving and enhancing more than 50 lives and taking up to eight people off the organ transplant waiting list.
5. One donor can donate kidneys to free two people from dialysis treatments needed to sustain life.

If you choose to donate your organs, please do three things:

  • Register here for organ registry (or here for bone marrow registry).
  • Sign your drivers' license.
  • Tell your family. They have the final say and need to know your wishes.
I know a few different people that may eventually need organ donations or have had one. As much as I don't want it to, the need for an organ really can happen to you or people you love.

2 comments:

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I believe strongly in this...I am registered as well as all my family!

Whitney @ I'm Lovin This Life said...

You know that I'm registered...

I think I would get haunted if I wasn't!

ShareThis