"" Three Ladies and a Dad: Homeade Applesauce

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Homeade Applesauce

This morning I was wide awake at 7:45. After at least one cup of coffee, I decided to get a start on next week's snack: Homemade Applesauce. By the time I was ready to start, the girls were awake but Jeremy was still sleeping. Does that mean this counts as a "Mommy & Me" project?

First, we gathered the ingredients...
8-10 Gala Apples, peeled and cut up
1 cinnamon stick or 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water
Juice of 1 lemon
Dash of salt

Next, we put all the ingredients into the Crock-Pot. Then we stirred it all up to make sure it was covered evenly. Simple as that. The recipe said it needs to cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 3-4 hours. I turned it on low, but I found in 4 hours, they were ready to be mashed. I used a potato masher and may get out the food processor to make it smoother, depending on what the girls prefer.
Here is what the end result should look like. This is after I mashed them.
Next time, I will double or possibly triple this. I want to also cut back on the sugar. It will freeze well and the worst part of the directions is cutting and peeling the apples. But other than that, it is a simple recipe, kid friendly and taste great!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Yummy.. I have wanting a homemade recipe! I will have to try this!

ShareThis